The Medical Library at Sparks is affiliated with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences which has a Family Practice Residency on campus. The Library is designated as one of seven Area Health Education Center Libraries in Arkansas and also serves at the local Sebastian County Medical Society Library. The Library has an online catalog shared with UAMS and the other Arkansas AHEC Libraries.
General Library Information
Hours and Location:
The library is located on the first floor of the west wing of Sparks Regional Medical Center. The library is open 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. A key is available from Security after hours for medical staff.
Michael G. Gillespie, Library Director
You may contact the library at:
Director, Library Services
UAMS- West Library
Sparks Health System
P.O. Box 2406
Fort Smith, AR 72902
Telephone: (501) 441-5337
Fax: (501) 441-5339
Available electronic resources in the Library:
OVID Databases, including MEDLINE, CINAHL, Evidenced Based Medicine, PsycInfo, and more Scientific American Medicine MDConsult UptoDate Micromedex.
- Internet Services - The library has access to the Web from a patron workstation in the library. We have a manual of suggested or selective links for a variety of categories via web browser. You may, of course, follow your own links. However, Administration has stated that this access is for education or patient care support.
- Literature Searches - The medical librarian will access databases through online computer systems and produce a search for your specific needs. You may email, phone, fax or visit the Library to submit your request.
- CD-ROM Databases - Currently the library has MEDLINE on CD-ROM back to 1966 and CINAHL (Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) back to 1982. Both are updated monthly.
- Monthly Literature Lists - We can keep you current on a medical topic of your choice by running the same search each month and mailing the list to you.
- Photocopying - You may request photocopies of journal articles from our collection. This is done in compliance with United States copyright law. You may pick these up from the library shelf, or they can be sent to you. Faxing is available for urgent requests.
- Interlibrary Loans - The Library networks with other libraries, locally, regionally and nationally. Thus we can obtain original materials or photocopies from other institutions to fill your requests. Fax service is available for articles that you may require for immediate patient care.
- Assistance / Instruction / Library Orientation - We will gladly assist you in any possible way. We will help you or provide instruction in the use of any of the library resources or tools. We do this individually and for classes as scheduled by various instructors. You may feel free to phone, fax or email us at the address above.